Monitoring and Screening for COVID-19 - 07/22/2020
Our Mission Is Keeping Everyone Healthy
Our School Community’s Commitment to Student Health
Each morning parents/guardians will self-screen their student to evaluate whether they have any symptoms consistent with COVID-19. These symptoms include:
- Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit
- Loss of taste or smell
- Difficulty breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Shaking or exaggerated shivering
- Significant muscle pain or ache
- Unexplained eye irritation
Communication between school and home will be critical throughout the 2020-2021 school year
If a child tests positive for COVID-19 through a lab confirmed test, please contact the school immediately upon notification of the test result. During the time that you are waiting for test results, a student may attend Virtual School. If a child is quarantined due to a family member in the same household testing positive for COVID-19, please contact the school immediately upon notification.
Any individual who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 may return to school when all three of the following criteria are met:
- At least three days (72 hours) have passed since recovery of fever without the use of any medication.
- The individual has improvement in symptoms related to COVID-19. One key symptom of improvement is in the area of the respiratory system.
- At least ten days have passed since symptoms first appeared. ***If you have symptoms that could be related to COVID-19 and did not get evaluated by a medical professional or tested for COVID-19, it is assumed that you may have had the virus and may not return to campus until all three criteria above have been met.
During this time, students may participate in Virtual School if they are feeling better at any point during this time away from school.
Arrival to School Campuses
Upon arrival to school campuses, processes and procedures will be in place to appropriately screen students when they enter the building. If we can screen carefully upon entering the building or boarding a bus, we can relax some restrictions once inside the classroom setting. The key is to screen extremely well each day and identify those things that we can control.
- Students at our Elementary Campus, Middle School Campus, and High School Campus will be required to wear masks upon arrival to school as they begin the screening process. Temperatures will be taken by school personnel in the car drop off lanes as students arrive. A student’s temperature below 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit will need to be recorded to enter the building.
- As students enter the building they will be given hand sanitizer to clean their hands and then directed to designated locations for breakfast.
- Once students are safely in their classrooms, the mask requirement may be relaxed as social distancing requirements are met.
- We respectfully ask that if you are able to provide transportation for your child this school year, please help us by doing so. It will be very difficult to practice social distancing on a bus.
- Students will be required to wear masks while riding the bus to and from school.
- Prior to boarding the bus in the morning, students will have their temperature taken by the bus monitor for their particular bus route. A student’s temperature below 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit will need to be recorded to enter the bus.
- Please do not leave children unattended at the bus stop. They will not be allowed to board a bus if they have a fever detected by our bus monitors.
Transitions Throughout the Building
As students move throughout the building, masks will be required for those campuses required to follow Governor Abbott’s Executive Order concerning face masks. As areas permit social distancing, face mask requirements may be relaxed.
- As students enter the lunch period, temperatures will be taken a second time for the day prior to entering the cafeteria.
- Students will be given hand sanitizer to clean their hands and directed to designated areas for lunch. As students leave the lunch setting, they will be given hand sanitizer upon returning to classroom activities. Masks will be worn during all transitions throughout the building.
Visitors to Campus During the Day
- Visitors are welcome to each of our campuses by appointment only.
- All visitors are encouraged to self-screen and will be checked for temperature upon entering the campus they are visiting. All visitors will be required to wear a mask.
- Lunch periods will be closed to all guests during the beginning of the school year. We will continue to monitor the public health situation to possibly relax this restriction as we get further along into the school year.